- Lots of round robin tennis
- Food and drinks will be provided
- $5 entrance fee
The courts at Etowah Park are currentlly being resurfaced. Only half the courts will be available for league and recreation play. Once Etowah is complete, the Alto courts will be next.
Source: Rome News Tribune
Two 8 and under tennis teams from the Rome Tennis Center will be representing Rome in the 8 and under USTA regional tournament in Atlanta, GA on on November 1st. Both teams qualified to the regional tournament after winning the USTA summer league season. The local players will be playing against the best 8 and under teams in GA at the Harrison Tennis Center in Milam Park. This is the first time that teams from the Rome area have competed in this event. USTA JTT (Junior Team Tennis) leagues are a great way for new players to compete in a social and fun environment.
The Rome Tennis Center 8 and under Junior Team Tennis Teams include Barclay Barnes, Braden Potter, Isabelle Howard, Aiden Parsa, Ethan Von Bergen, Alexander Hernandez, Chip Winslette and Jackson Slatky. The captains are David Araiza and Cristian Lopez.
- Saturday morning: 6.0 & 8.0
- Sunday @ 2pm: 7.0
- Where: Rome Tennis Center and Etowah and Alto as needed
- Cost: $5 for captains, $27 for players
- Players can signup October 20th
- Captains meeting @ the Rome Tennis Center on October 29th @ 6pm.
- Matches start November 1st
The CVTA USTA Junior Team Tennis winter season will start accepting registrations from October 18th to November 11th
- Age Divisions:
- 8 & under beginner
- 10 & under beginner, intermediate and advanced
- 12 & under beginner, intermediate and advanced
- 14 & under beginner, intermediate and advanced
- 18 & under beginner, intermediate and advanced
- Play will be on Saturdays @ 10:30
- Cost: $15
- Registration opens October 18
- Match play begins December 6 and ends January 24th
- A USTA Membership is required*
* While a USTA membship is required, the USTA offers a free one membship to children 10 & under
Fall league schedules have been published. We've greatly enhanced the online schedules by providing a 'team only' schedule allowing you to only see your team's matches. Just click on your team to view your schedule.
The CVTA is offering Tennis 101 classes starting at 7pm on Wednesday, October 1st.. This program provides adults everything they need to start playing tennis in a friendly environment for only $50, including:
- 6 weeks of one hour group lessons with a certified tennis professional ($72)
- A free tennis racket (~$30)
- A one year USTA membership ($44)
- A one time USTA league entry fee ($27)
Priced seperately, these would cost well over $150. The CVTA, USTA and tennis pros at the Rome Tennis Center all contribute to make this an affordable program.
After the 6 weeks of lessons the players will be ready to compete in many of the tennis leagues the CVTA offers. Many of the league tennis players in Rome started with this excelllent program.
The CVTA proudly presents the 2013 Bill Thornton Volunteer of the Year award to Dave Dawson.
Dave is well known in the local tennis community for all the tireless volunteer work he has contributed to local tournaments, leagues and captaining numerous teams every season.
If you have ever needed help with a tennis event, or just finding players for a team, Dave has always been an invaluable resource due to his experience and popularity among tennis players.
The Coosa Valley Tennis Association is now accepting team registrations for the USTA 18 & over adult fall league.
- Monday: Men & Women's 3.5
- Tuesday: Men's 3.0 & 4.0, Women's 2.5 & 4.0
- Thursday: Men's 2.5 & 4.0 low, Women's 3.0 and 4.0 low
- Where: Rome Tennis Center, Etowah and Alto
- Cost: $5 for captains, $27 for players
- Players can signup September 14th
- Captains meeting @ the Rome Tennis Center on September 24th @ 6pm.
- Matches start September 29th
The new NTRP ratings have been published by USTA Georgia. All CVTA leagues will now use these ratings.
The CVTA has created a player search website to access the latest ratings for local CVTA players.
The ratings are also available on USTA Georgia's website, but only for those whose rating has changed.
Lawrence Plantation has named Jaleel Riaz as their Tennis Director. Jaleel is well known in Rome for teaching lessons out of Etowah Park. He brings a rich, international tennis pedegree to Lawrence Plantation:
- Four year All American in college
- Coached at Berry College, Shorter University and the University West Georgia
- Former Director of Tennis at Coosa Country Club and Horseleg Creek Country Club
- Coach of Pakistan's Davis Cup team
- Has taught adults and juniors for 40 years
- American Amature in mixed doubles
Jaleel will be announcing upcoming programs in the coming weeks.
USTA Georgia is accepting nominations for their annual tennis awards. There are awards for juniors, adults, tennis associations, captains, league coordinators, tournaments, etc. For a complete list or to nominate an organization or someone you know, follow the link.
Coosa Country Club's Coosa International Tennis Academy has begun accepting students for their fall session which runs from August 11th to November 26.
The cost is $25 for drop-ins or $250/month if paid upfront. The cost for August will be pro-rated.
Sessions run Monday through Thursday from 5:30 to 7pm.
The Rome Tennis Academy has begun their junior and adult fall tennis programs. The junior program offers tennis lessons/drills Monday through Thursday from ages 5 to 18. View the brochure for more information including prices, curriculum and tennis pro biographies.
Adult drill schedules can be viewed on the right column of the CVTA home page.
Both the junior program and adult drills are hosted at the Rome Tennis Center.
Congratulations to all the Go Go Tennis League champions! We look forward to another great season next year!
Team Stokes, 8.0 Champs (Left to Right): Mike Burnes, Eddie Stokes, Captain Tesha Stokes and Darrel Creel. Not Pictured: Anne Brooking, Calandra Jones and Jeff Barnes.
Team Peal, 7.0 Champs (Left to Right): Kim Waid, Steve Weaver, Regina Hicks, Jerry Jackson and Captain Pam Peal. Not Pictured: Ross Collins.
Team Hall, 6.0 Champs (Left to Right): Captain Sheila Hall, Madison LaRue, Pat O'Neal, Julia Hall and Dottie Taylor. Not Pictured: Austin Silver
Congratulations to Brian Proffitt's 9.0 mixed team who won their state tournament!
Front row left to right:
Lawrence Plantation is offering free round robin sessions using their unique social board.
Just show up and play on Saturday from 10am-2pm or Sunday from 2pm-4pm. Many of Rome's regular players having been attending these round robins.
Players of all levels from high school and up are welcome. There is no cost and balls are provided.
The USTA has named Cristian Lopez the Junior Coordinator for the CVTA. Cristian has been very active in the Rome tennis scene, offering private and team lessons at the the Rome Tennis Center, helping with tennis camps and is now running the Rome Tennis Circuit's junior tournaments.
Cristian has Roman roots, graduating from Shorter and is also a partner in the Rome Tennis Academy.
Cristian is jump starting junior tennis in Rome and has been in talks with many of the schools and is working on bringing Junior Team Tennis back to Rome.
Please join the CVTA is welcoming Cristian to Rome and we all look forward to the promising future he'll bring to junior tennis.