With the new tennis center and possibility of new tournaments coming to Rome, referees and umpires are needed.
David Araiza, the tennis director at the Rome Tennis Center is hosting a referee and umpire clinic. This is a great opportunity for people that are retired or are looking for extra income and have playing experience.
The normal cost for the clinic is $25, however the first 13 people to sign up will have their registration paid for.
- What: Referee and Umpire Training Clinic
- When: February 28th
- Where: Carnegie Rome by City Hall
- Cost: Free for first 13, $25 thereafter
- Contact: David Araiza @ 706-331-0796
Lawrence Plantation will begin offering drills for juniors 10 & under on Thursdays from 4:00-5:00pm, beginning March 5. LP has three covered courts, so drills will be held rain or shine.
First drill is free of charge.
18 & under junior drills will continue to be conducted Mondays and Thursdays from 5:00-6:30pm.
Contact Jaleel at 706-506-7506 for more information.
The Rome-Floyd Parks & Recreation Authority and Coosa Valley Tennis Association's first mixer of 2015 has been scheduled for March 6th. Come join the fun and enjoy a beverage and food. All skill levels are encouraged to come out.
- Location: Rome Floyd Tennis Center
- Date: March 6th
- Time: 6:30pm until closing
- Cost: $5 (Captains from 2014 and 2015 are FREE)
- All tennis abilities are welcome!
- Sponsored by:
Rome Tennis Academy is hosting an open house and free tennis clinics for juniors and adults on March 1st from 3pm to 4pm. All ages and skill levels are welcome.
- Location: Rome Tennis Center
- Date: March 1st
- Time: 3pm-4pm
- Cost: Free!
- Age: All adults and juniors welcome
- Registration: http://www.rometennisacademy.com/free-tennis-clinic.html
The RTA will also be launching their new adult tennis program and adult drill calendar at the event.
The CVTA is offering Tennis 101 classes starting at 7pm on Wednesday, March 18th. This program provides adults everything they need to start playing tennis in a friendly environment for only $50, including:
- 6 weeks of one hour group lessons with a certified tennis professional ($72)
- A free tennis racket (~$30)
- A one year USTA membership ($44)
- A free mini-league after completion of group lessons
- A one time USTA league entry fee ($27)
Priced separately, these would cost well over $150. The CVTA, USTA and tennis pros at the Rome Tennis Center all contribute to make this an affordable program.
After the 6 weeks of lessons the players will be ready to compete in many of the tennis leagues the CVTA offers. Many of the league tennis players in Rome started with this excellent program.
The USTA Georgia State Team Community Tennis Association (CTA) Championships are being held in Peachtree City from March 27 to March 30th.
- Dates: March 27-30th
- Location: Peachtree City Tennis Center
- Deadline: February 25th
- Cost: $55 per person
- Format: Each team consists of 18-24 players. Men's, women's and mixed doubles all played at 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 levels.
- Notes: No league is required. Must not have a self-rated NTRP rating.
- Flyer and TennisLink Summary
Coosa Valley Tennis Association is now accepting team registrations for it's weekend 55 & over league, starting March 21st.
Matches will be played at Coosa Country Club on weekends.
- When: Weekends
- Where: Coosa Country Club
- Matches start March 21st
- Cost: $5 for captains, $27 for players
- Players can signup March 7th
The Georgia chapter of the United State Tennis Association, awarded the Rome Sports Commission, Coosa Valley Tennis Association and David Araiza, the tournament director, the Wheelchair Tournament of the Year Award for the Clocktower Classic in downtown Rome.
This was a huge event for Rome and saw some of the best wheelchair players in the nation. Due to the success of the inaugural tournament, the second is already being planned for August 7-9, 2015, in downtown Rome.
Spring league schedules have been published. We've greatly enhanced the online schedules by providing a 'team only' schedule allowing you to only see your team's matches. Just click on your team to view your schedule.
The Coosa Valley Tennis Association is offering a long sleve t-shirt, and zippered hoodie, both perfect for playing in the nippy winter air. Our great looking logo can now be donned by anyone with a few dollars to spare!
Features the CVTA clocktower logo on the front and the Play Tennis Rome logo on the back.
- $15 for t-shirt
- $25 for hoodie
Monday through Thursday
- 5-10 years old: 4:00-5:00pm
- 11 years old and older: 5:00-6:30pm
* Coaches reserve the right to place players in the correct group based on their age and ability level.
- $65 - Monthly unlimited 1 hour classes
- $99 - Monthly unlimited 1.5 hour classes
- $40 - For 4 classes monthly
- $60 - For 6 classes monthly
- $15 - Single class per hour
- $17 - Single class per 1.5 hour
* There is a one-time $25 registration fee for new players (includes a RTA t-shirt)
The Rome Tennis Center offers adult drills during the winter months,through January 31st.
Ladies Open Drills
- Mondays @ 10:00am
- Wednesday @ 6:30pm
- Thursday @ 10:00am
NEW Cardio Tennis
- Mondays @ 6:30pm
- Thursday @ 6:30pm
Private and group lessons
- One hour private lesson is $45.
- 30 minutes private lesson is $25.
- Team clinic is $12.50 per player. Please contact the coaches to set up a time and a date for your team.
Lawrence Plantation is offering junior drills for members and non-members on Monday and Thursdays from 5-6:30pm.
On weekends, they offer a Social Board round robin. Free for members and $5 for non-members. It's a unique opportunity to play a lot of tennis with a wide range of players. The Social Board plays rain or shine since Lawrence Plantation has indoor courts.
Contact Jaleel at 706-506-7506 for more information.
February through April, Shorter University will be playing many of their matches at the Rome Tennis Center.
Go to http://goshorterhawks.com/schedule.aspx?path=mten& for the latest dates and times.
The year end NTRP ratings have been published by USTA Georgia. All CVTA leagues will now use these ratings.
The CVTA has updated their player search website with the latest ratings for local CVTA players. This is a valuable tool for all captains as you can search for players by name, rating or city. For example, to view all 3.5 players, enter 3.5 in the seach box.
Rome Tennis Management Group (RTM), with help from the USTA, is starting a county wide after school program to help kids learn tennis. RTM needs people to work in the schools teaching tennis. There are paid and volunteer positions available. Here are the critera for the positions:
- Should enjoy interacting with kids
- Tennis background preferred
- Must pass background check
- Lasts 6 weeks between Monday January 26 and Friday, March 6
- Minimum 1 time per week, maximum 5 times per week
Time of the day: starting not before 3:30pm finishing no later than 5:15 pm. Generally about 1:15 minutes per session.
The position pays if leading the program in a school. If not leading the team, they are looking for volunteers to help the team leader. They will provide training to all participants.
Lawrence Plantation has named Jaleel Riaz as their Tennis Director. Jaleel is well known in Rome for teaching lessons out of Etowah Park. He brings a rich, international tennis pedegree to Lawrence Plantation:
- Four year All American in college
- Coached at Berry College, Shorter University and the University West Georgia
- Former Director of Tennis at Coosa Country Club and Horseleg Creek Country Club
- Coach of Pakistan's Davis Cup team
- Has taught adults and juniors for 40 years
- American Amature in mixed doubles
Jaleel will be announcing upcoming programs in the coming weeks.
Coosa Country Club's Coosa International Tennis Academy has begun accepting students for their fall session which runs from August 11th to November 26.
The cost is $25 for drop-ins or $250/month if paid upfront. The cost for August will be pro-rated.
Sessions run Monday through Thursday from 5:30 to 7pm.